A Brief Introduction to Perinatal Mental Health
Course provided by Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust
About this course
This course provides a brief introduction to perinatal mental health, with a focus on some specific perinatal mental disorders, and an overview of the potential risks associated with perinatal mental illness.
- Explore a range of factors that can affect a woman’s mental health during pregnancy and after birth, including her history and current context.
- Recognise the prevalence and symptoms of common perinatal mental disorders, including postnatal depression and postpartum psychosis.
- Gain an understanding of the risks associated with perinatal mental illness, including the risk of suicide and risk to the infant.
- Understand the importance of considering the infant’s perspective and how a mother’s mental health might affect the infant.
- Identify the various professionals and services from across the care pathway involved in women’s care during the perinatal period.