Course provided by Open University
About this course
This free course, Additive manufacturing, introduces you to its key concepts. It covers the fundamentals of the additive manufacturing process, steps involved in creating a model and building an artefact, materials and techniques used, and the factors which affect the functionality of the finished parts.
- Describe additive manufacturing and explain its advantages and disadvantages.
- Explain the processes used in additive manufacturing for a range of materials and applications.
- Understand the role of additive manufacturing in the design process and the implications for design.
- Describe the effects of surface finish and microstructural properties on behaviour for components produced using additive manufacturing.
- Display an awareness of residual stresses that may occur during additive manufacturing and their effects.