About this course
We ask the question “Can renewable energy sources power the world?” as a response to the growing awareness that increased use of renewable energy technologies is making a major contribution to global efforts to limit anthropogenic climate change.
- Understand at an introductory level the basic physical principles underlying the operation of renewable energy systems.
- Understand the key role of the Sun as the main source of renewable energy.
- Be aware of the essential characteristics of energy demand and supply in the UK and the world.
- Be aware of the principal renewable energy technologies and their main characteristics.
- Be aware of some of the factors that are working to promote the deployment of renewable energies and those acting to inhibit it.