Creating an Inclusive Classroom: Approaches to Supporting Learners with SEND in Computing
Course provided by FutureLearn
About this course
As educators, we should aim to provide every young person with the skills and knowledge to become active participants in a digital world.On this course, you will examine the common barriers faced by students with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) in the computing classroom, and how to address these barriers.You will explore a number of general approaches and specific computing activities that will help to include and engage learners.This course will support teachers who want to create a more inclusive computing classroom for all of their students. Free to register. Fee to certificate.
- Reflect on the common barriers faced by learners with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) in the computing classroom.
- Develop a toolkit of general teaching approaches to make lessons more inclusive for learners with SEND.
- Identify ways to adapt and improve teaching materials to make them more accessible.
- Develop effective approaches to teach programming to learners with SEND.
- Identify accessible programming environments and physical computing devices that can be used to make lessons more inclusive for learners with SEND.
- Model best practice by creating an inclusive computing lesson plan and materials.