Curriculum Design for Secondary School Science
Course provided by FutureLearn
About this course
On this course, you’ll be introduced to curriculum design for teaching science to students aged 11-19 years.You’ll explore the advantages and disadvantages of various approaches, as well as how support for teachers can be modelled to support effective learning for students.You’ll consider how practical work and maths skills for science can be embedded in a curriculum and how progression can be mapped effectively.Through videos, discussion and tasks, you’ll engage with other teachers, share your experiences of planning science schemes of learning, and plan for future curriculum development. Free to register. Fee to certificate.
- Identify the key features of an effective science curriculum and scheme of work for students aged 11-19 years.
- Assess the advantages and disadvantages of different curriculum models for secondary science.
- Identify progression routes though science subjects to maximise learning.
- Discuss the implications of assessment practices on curriculum planning.
- Evaluate the development of mathematical skills and extended writing across the curriculum.