Earth's physical resources: petroleum
Course provided by Open University
About this course
This free course, Earth's physical resources: petroleum, begins by examining the geological characteristics of petroleum and the key ingredients necessary to form oil and gas accumulations.
- Interpret graphs and evaluate tables of data relating to different aspects of petroleum.
- Recognise, after being given basic geological information for a petroleum play, the main 'ingredients' (petroleum charge, reservoirs, seals and traps) that contribute to its potential.
- Understand the roles played by different means of exploration in contributing to defining a petroleum play, and its evaluation.
- Describe the various options for petroleum production in different settings.
- Discuss the various hazards to operators and the environment that are presented by exploiting petroleum reserves.