About this course
On this course, you’ll gain an understanding of how computers work at a fundamental level.You’ll explore system architecture, along with how computers use binary and logic. Once you’ve examined the von Neumann model of computer architecture and the Fetch-Execute cycle, you’ll learn to build a range of simple circuits for maths, and then simulate various logic gates.Ultimately, you’ll complete the course with an understanding of the processes that underpin every modern computer – from supercomputers to smartphones, and everything in between. Free to register. Fee to certificate.
- Explain how transistors can act as digital switches and be combined to create logic gates.
- Produce truth tables for AND, NOT and OR gates, individually or combined.
- Explain how computers use binary arithmetic.
- Describe how logic gates can be combined to produce digital circuits that can perform a calculation.
- Describe Von Neuman Architecture and the Fetch-Execute cycle.