Course provided by Open University
About this course
This free course, Introducing engineering, introduces several key themes that explore how engineering is undertaken in our modern world. These themes include engineering design, rules that govern engineers, manufacturing for products and electricity generation using solar energy.
- Understand the characteristics of ‘engineering’ and the role engineers have played in shaping engineering up to the present and into the future.
- Understand a range of principles in science, mathematics and engineering in order to make well-founded decisions as part of a design process.
- Have an appreciation of the design decision-making process when developing new products.
- Recognise the effects on the conduct of engineering relating to issues such as patents, standards and risk.
- Understand the use of appropriate candidate/potential materials and processes for the manufacture of a given artefact.