Teaching Programming in Primary Schools
Course provided by FutureLearn
About this course
This free online course will provide a comprehensive introduction to programming, designed for non-subject-specialist primary or K-5 teachers.Over four weeks, we’ll introduce you to key programming concepts. You’ll have the chance to apply your understanding of them through projects, both unplugged and on a computer, using Scratch as the programming language. You’ll discover common mistakes and pitfalls, and develop strategies to fix them. Free to register. Fee to certificate.
- Explain key programming concepts; algorithms, sequencing, repetition, variables and selection.
- Produce programs using the Scratch programming language.
- Reflect on your learning and create ideas for your classroom practise.
- Explore programming concepts through projects, both unplugged and digital.
- Apply a cross curricular approach to programming.