Working Supportively With Refugees
Course provided by FutureLearn
About this course
Refugees are a diverse group, speaking many languages and of varied religions and ethnicities. This course acknowledges that skills requirements are changing rapidly and offers training for those working in this area. Combining principles of psychological wellbeing, intercultural communication, interpretation and conflict management, this course will help you to understand who refugees are and how you can support their integration in the receiving countries. Free to register. Fee to certificate.
- Discuss the legal, social and cultural grounding for the refugee's integration in different European countries.
- Reflect critically on the process of intercultural communication and interpretation, in the reality of and in the work with refugees.
- Evaluate the idea of social integration, assessing ways in which cultural mediators could offer adequate support to refugees, asylum seekers and migrants.
- Demonstrate awareness of principles of psychological wellbeing and socio-emotional health of refugees.
- Assess strategies for mediators to support refugees and attend to their own self-care.
- Explore the skills needed to work with refugees including group management, intercultural communication, and conflict negotiation.